Everyone does not want to have long hair. It’s as simple as that. But some of you do and you are who I am going to talk to.
Let’s get real if you haven’t gotten real with yourself already…there are only two ways to get long hair. One, you can add it by installing some hair weave or two, you could buckle down and grow your own natural hair. If you are in a rush to see length by all means get your weave girl! But if you want to see how long your own natural hair will grow…you will have to learn a little patience.
Speaking from experience as a dope natural that has had long hair for most of my life, it’s not easy to maintain long hair period. Even when I had the creamy crack in my hair, it still took time to wash, condition, de-tangle and style my hair and that was sometimes to the tune of four to six hours of my day or more. With my natural hair it never tops more than 3 hours just because I will walk out of the house with my hair still wet now! Yes I feel I am every woman now! Bring on that rain, snow, ice…my natural can handle it
So some of you have asked me how do I maintain the length of my hair? I will tell you this before I provide you with my methods. Maintaining long hair and keeping it healthy is a mind-set just as it is also a responsibility that takes time. If you don’t have time to spend on your hair each week or at least every other week…sorry but long hair may not be for you right now.
How I Retain Length
- I get regular trims. Sometimes I do them myself, but at least twice a year I go to a professional to get my hair trimmed. Remember a trimming is just to get rid of split ends not to change your hair style.
- Keep your hair moisturized! If you are wondering if your hair is moisturized…moisturize it
- Be patient and treat your hair gently. Even when I am tired, I take time to groom and protect my hair.
- Learn to love protective styling. There is no way to get around some of the natural environmental abuse our hair has to take, but using protective styles sure helps to keep our hair protected from most issues.
- Don’t jump on every “next big thing” in natural hair products. There have been some really great products introduced since I have been natural and I am sure there will be more, but everything is not good for our hair so I am really careful to only try products that has ingredients in it that I know will mesh well with my texture of hair.
- Be stingy with the heat! I like to get my hair flat-ironed too, but I make it a point to only do this three or four times a year. There are some great heat protector hair products on the market now, but even so I would still encourage anyone hoping to retain length to be really careful about using too much heat.
- Eat a healthy diet and add a multivitamin. What you put in your mouth will affect what is on your head so eat the good stuff to give your hair and body what it needs.
Long hair may not be your goal and that’s okay, but if you are hoping to finally reach that tailbone length as I am (I have about 2 more inches to go) these suggestions will give you a great foundation.
Did I leave something out?
If so, let us know in your comments below what we can add to help out other Dope Naturals!by